- Approved transfer credit from off-campus may be applied to the Sweet Briar College degree
- Transfer minimum of 12 credits per semester and up to 17 credits for one semester abroad and up to 35 credits for an academic year abroad.
- Not more than 60 hours from other institutions will be allowed toward the 120 credit hours required for the Sweet Briar degree.
- The registrar will determine the exact amount of credit to be transferred. These credits will be added to the student’s Sweet Briar transcript upon receipt of the study abroad transcript and return to Sweet Briar College.
Grades and Pass/Fail
- A student must earn a letter grade of C- or better in order for credit to transfer.
- Letter grades from study abroad do not appear on the SBC transcript nor figure into the Sweet Briar GPA.
- No transfer credit will be allowed for courses taken using the “pass/fail” grading option at another institution, unless “pass” at that institution is the equivalent of a C- or above.
- Repeat: You will not receive credit for a class you have already taken at Sweet Briar.
Course Selection and Approval
- All transfer credit must be approved by the registrar before the semester or summer of off-campus study using the Proposed Courses Form and student must provide a catalog or descriptive information about the coursework abroad.
- Courses taken for credit toward the major or minor must be approved by the appropriate program coordinator at Sweet Briar College prior to departure.
International Academic Internships (As part of a study abroad program)
Students are encouraged to consider doing an international internship as part of their study abroad program, when available. Internships must entail a minimum of 120 contact hours during the semester, include a substantial academic component and local supervision .Prior to departure, students must make arrangements with an Sweet Briar faculty member who will review and approve the final paper and notify the registrar’s office of academic credit worthiness.
Billing and Study Abroad Fee
For all Sweet Briar-approved semester or academic year programs, students are billed by Sweet Briar College for tuition, room and board, in the same way as when they are on-campus. A study abroad fee of $400 for semester or $600 for a year will also be applied. These fees may differ from those posted on the foreign university or study abroad program information.
Note: Programs whose fee exceeds Sweet Briar’s overall fee, will be charged the difference in addition to the Sweet Briar fee.
Students are responsible for all other costs not expressly included in the fee, such as the program’s application fee (if applicable), airfare, passport and visa fees, books and supplies, international health insurance, required immunizations (if applicable), local transportation, personal expenses and optional course supplies and/or field trips/excursions.
Summer Study Abroad Programs
For summer programs students will pay the cost of the study abroad program or university directly. Financial aid is not applicable to summer study.