Students who have a medical or psychological disability that requires a particular type of housing can request a special housing accommodations space. As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, a disability is “a physical or mental impairment, which substantially limits one or more major life activities.”
Any requests for special accommodations for the upcoming academic year must be submitted to the Office of Student Life. If you currently have a special accommodations space and wish to have one next year, you MUST reapply. Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Office of Student Life at 434-381-6134.
Residence Life Special Accommodations Process:
- Review and complete the Residence Life Special Accommodations Application (including the attached Authorization for Release of Information). Submit your application by the stated deadlines.
- Submit documentation as outlined on the application by the stated deadlines.
- The Special Accommodations Review Committee will meet to discuss all applications.
- Notification will be made via email about the outcome of the application. If approved, the student will work with the appropriate College administrator as indicated in the approval letter. If the application is denied, it can be appealed in writing to the Dean of Students.
Please be advised that approval of an application does not necessarily guarantee the type of housing requested and is only applicable for the academic year in which it was submitted. Students must resubmit a new application and updated medical documentation each year that a request is made.
The Section 504 officer for the College is Nicole Whitehead, director of human resources and community engagement. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this role, she oversees compliance with federal law. She is available to all students as a resource and advocate during the accommodation application process.
Please note for the 2018-2019 academic year:
- This application and accompanying documentation is due at noon on March 15, 2019, for returning students or June 1, 2019, for new students.
- Applications received after the deadline will only be considered if there is new or updated information from a medical professional.
- For students with newly diagnosed disabilities or acute situations, the request should be submitted as soon as it is determined that a request for an accommodation is needed.