By Taylor Patterson, admissions counselor
We are wrapping up a busy week of virtual and on-campus visits from prospective students and their families during the annual Virginia Private College Week, which was created by the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia. We held two informational sessions and tours each day and enjoyed meeting so many new potential Vixens while showing off our campus and highlighting what makes us unique.
This also is the time of year when high school students begin their college search, and Sweet Briar has rolling admissions, meaning we accept applications year-round. However, since some federal and state grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, students who apply early benefit from more financial aid opportunities. For this reason, we encourage you to apply early and complete your FAFSA.
Sweet Briar also offers Early Decision and Early Action options for students who are interested. Early Decision is a binding commitment and is intended for students who know that Sweet Briar College is their first choice. Early Action is a non-binding way for students to apply for admission early in the application process and to receive a decision well in advance of the College’s regular application notification date.
Here are some of the benefits of applying Early Decision:
- Priority housing
- Campus parking pass for your first year
- Sweet Briar Book Shop gift card
- Earliest notification of admission
- Priority consideration for all scholarships
- Priority notification of financial aid package
Here are some tips to keep in mind when completing your application:
- Know your deadlines: Start your application sooner rather than later to ensure you will have enough time to meet the deadline that is given. It’s always better to be proactive and productive about it.
- FAFSA: October 1, 2020
- Early Decision: November 1, 2020
- Early Action: December 1, 2020
- Rolling Admission: starts December 2, 2020
- Know the requirements: Each college or university has different requirements for their application. Make sure you know what materials need to be submitted to complete your application. Some of these things include an essay or recommendation letter, which are optional for us!
- Stay in touch with your admissions counselor: We want to hear from you and be the best resource that we can throughout the application process. Staying in touch helps us gauge how interested you are, and it helps you fully appreciate what a great fit Sweet Briar could be for you.
- Be honest: Admissions wants to get to know you for who you are and how you see yourself fitting in at the College.
If you’re ready to apply, start here!