It’s T minus two weeks until the BIG DAY: move-in day at Sweet Briar College! If you’re a new student, your fall semester — but really, your new life, four years of intense learning, invaluable memories and lifelong friendships — starts on Aug. 17. Are you ready? Here’s everything you need to know about orientation (Aug. 17-21), with advice from Assistant Director of Student Life Jess Austin.
- Check-in for new students is from 8:30 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Aug. 17, in the Conference Center. This is where you’ll pick up your orientation schedule, student I.D. card and room key (if living on campus). There will also be a resource fair, so you can find out about all of the services our various campus offices provide. (Students may NOT check in prior to this date and time!). Our student life staff has planned five fun days of programming for you until classes start on Thursday, Aug. 22.
- Orientation is designed to acclimate new students to all areas of Sweet Briar. And there are a lot of them because our campus is big (3,250 acres, to be exact). You’ll get to know the physical campus layout and learn about academics, extracurricular activities, living in a shared space, campus services, and what it means to be a Sweet Briar woman. That last one is important. It includes our Honor Code, lots of traditions and creating relationships with upperclasswomen.
- Students will be in orientation groups, led by an orientation leader. Orientation leaders are upperclasswomen who are actively involved in leadership positions and excel academically. Yes, they’re amazing. Their job is to assist new students in making connections to campus and easing the transition from high school to college. This year, we have a team of 11 orientation leaders and two orientation chairwomen.
- We will have specific programming for parents and families on Saturday afternoon. It’s entirely optional, but fun! Parents and families depart on Saturday evening, so the rest of orientation is all about you and your new Sweet Briar sisters. Here’s the full schedule!
- Here’s how to have a successful week, says Jess:
- “Immerse yourself in all that Sweet Briar has to offer. Learn to navigate the campus. Begin making connections with your classmates, upperclasswomen, faculty and staff.”
- “Your orientation leader is your best resource this week. Ask them questions about their experiences in classes or leadership positions. Don’t be afraid to come to them if you are feeling overwhelmed.”
- “Drink lots of water, wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes. During the week we will be exploring the natural beauty of the campus, so comfort and safety is key when outdoors.”
- “It’s okay to feel nervous or be unsure! Always feel free to ask for help, directions or clarity if you need it. The faculty and staff are there to help you succeed.”
For more information about orientation, visit our orientation website or call student life at 434-381-6134. They’ll be happy to help you. See you on Aug. 17!