Frequently Asked Questions

Which immunizations does my student need before coming to college?

Please visit the Immunization Requirements section of this website for more information. Students without the required health history, physical exam or immunizations are prohibited from residing on campus and may be prevented from registering for classes.

Does my student need a physical before starting school?

Physical exams are required for entrance to Sweet Briar and are required annually for varsity athletes and riding team members.

Does SBC provide class excuses?

If a student experiences a documented, serious, prolonged illness or injury that may result in academic concerns, the student will need to request from her health care provider verification of care with a signed release to the academic dean’s office. The dean’s office will then notify the student’s faculty.

My student just had surgery. Can she get help getting to and from class or special housing accommodations?

Sometimes students experience temporary impairments that limit their mobility or other aspects of campus living. The accessibility services coordinator works collaboratively with student life and campus safety to assist students.

Is transportation provided to local medical facilities?

Blue Ridge Medical Center offers primary care services on campus several days a week. If students need treatment urgently — or are in need of a service that can’t be provided on campus — the Office of Student Life will assist students with making arrangements for transportation to local clinics.

Have a question that isn't answered here?

Please contact:

Student Life Office
Sweet Briar College
P.O. Box 1058
Sweet Briar, VA 24595

P | 434-381-6134
F | 434-381-6492