Sweet Briar House

Sweet Briar House was built in the early part of the 19th century as a six-room T-shaped farmhouse, known as Locust Ridge. The house underwent extensive remodeling in 1851 in an attempt to transform it into an Italianate villa-style country house. 

The gardens around Sweet Briar House were once bounded on the north by а sweeping hedge of large boxwoods. The hedge served not only as а backdrop to the house, but also as а barrier between the occupants of the “Big House” and the enslaved residents beyond. 

Read more.