Sweet Briar College has three vehicles that members of the Sweet Briar community can reserve, provided they have met the authorization requirements (see more, below). The vehicles are:
- Vixens: 15 passengers (including the driver)
- Vixens 1: 15 passengers (including the driver) This van has very limited storage space. Please plan accordingly when booking this vehicle.
- Vixens 3: 15 passengers (including the driver) This van has very limited storage space. Please plan accordingly when booking this vehicle.
- KL6: 11 passengers (including the driver)
- Caravan: 7 passengers (including the driver)
- In order to drive any vehicle in the fleet, you need to be MVR approved. This process happens through the Office of Human Resources.
- Additionally, in order to drive the KL6 and Vixens vans you need to complete a van certification class. This class includes an in-classroom portion as well as a behind the wheel driving portion. Campus Safety holds classes throughout the year.
What You Need to Know
The vehicles on Sweet Briar’s fleet are in high demand. As such, there are some things you need to know about reservations and things you can do to be a respectful community member.
- Please note: The three 15-passenger vans (Vixens, Vixens 1, and Vixens 3) can only be driven by van-certified faculty and staff. The 11-passenger van (KL6) and 7-passenger van (Caravan) can be driven by van-certified students.
- Please make your van reservation in advance. Waiting until the last minute will decrease your chances of van availability.
- Be specific with the hours you need the van so others may use it after you are done. Please do not reserve the vehicles for longer than you need.
- Please save your confirmation email! If your plans change and you no longer need to use the vehicle you have reserved, please be respectful of other members of our community and cancel your reservation on LibCal. The link in your confirmation email will enable you to cancel.
- Please read the Sweet Briar College Driving Policy before you reserve any Sweet Briar van.
- If you and another faculty/staff member agree to switch vans on a specific date and time, please make sure you both cancel your original booking and rebook with the new dates and vans you plan to use so that we have an accurate record of our fleet. This is a vital part of keeping our community safe.
Please do not call the campus safety office to ask who has a vehicle at a particular time or to make a change to an existing reservation so that you may use a vehicle.
Pick-Up and Return
- Pre-trip checklists must be completed prior to departure. Please contact Campus Safety immediately if any warning indicators are visible.
- All van returns require a Campus Safety Officer to assist you. Keys, binders, completed checklists and vehicle logs must be turned in upon your return to campus.
- Vans returning with less than 3/4 tank of gas must be refueled. An officer will assist you if the pumps are locked.
- Please return to the Campus Safety Office during business hours for assistance. After hours, please call x6111, x6114, or pick up the emergency phone located outside the Campus Safety Office for assistance.
Need a Driver?
If you’d like to reserve a vehicle but are not a certified driver, you may be able to find another member of our community who can drive for you. Please review the list on our website (you will need to log in to view it).