Transfer applications are welcome year round in Rolling Admission for fall and spring semesters.
Click here to apply now, continue your application or make your deposit. There is no application fee.
Sweet Briar makes it easy to transfer. For transfer students entering Sweet Briar in Fall 2019, an associate degree from a regionally accredited community college will replace Sweet Briar’s required leadership core curriculum — the College’s version of traditional general education requirements. Eligible students may move directly into coursework that fulfills the requirements for their major of choice.
Students are considered transfers if they have earned 24 credits or more from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Students with fewer than 24 accredited hours must meet the first-year applicant requirements in addition to the items listed below.
Eligible degrees under the new agreement are the Associate of Arts (AA), the Associate of Science (AS) and the Associate of Arts and Sciences (AA&S). The qualifying associate degree must have required a minimum of 30 credits for its general education requirement with at least one 3-credit course in each of the following:
- Humanities/fine arts
- Social/behavioral sciences
- Natural sciences/mathematics
Credit awarded by the community college for AP or IB examination scores will be re-evaluated by Sweet Briar College. If all of the AP and IB examination scores meets SBC criteria, the associate degree qualifies for this agreement. If there is AP or IB credit that does not meet SBC criteria, the student’s associate degree credit will be evaluated and applied to Sweet Briar’s leadership core requirements as appropriate.
Students earning an associate degree concurrent with high school graduation (sometimes referenced as dual enrollment or Early College) are not eligible for admission under the above terms. These students should complete the undergraduate application process for first-year students. Community college credit earned by these students will be evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis.
Sweet Briar also has transfer articulation agreements with:
- the Virginia Community College System, covering all community colleges in the commonwealth. Applicants interested in transferring from a Virginia community college should reference the Virginia Community College Course Equivalencies guide.
- Harford Community College in Maryland. Click here to learn more.
These agreements make it seamless to continue your studies at Sweet Briar and complete a bachelor’s degree. For more information about transferring to Sweet Briar, please contact Gloria Simon at email@example.com or 434-381-6142.
Transfers must submit the following to complete their file:
- Completed application — Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application, the Coalition application or online application.
- An official transcript from each college attended. We will accept electronic copies directly from your school or via Credentials Solutions, the National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- Proof of good standing at each of the previous institutions attended
- An official secondary school transcript — Sweet Briar accepts the General Education Diploma (GED) in lieu of a high school diploma (documenting high school graduation.)