Information for International Students

We believe that fostering an community of international scholars benefits our entire community, so no matter what part of the world you’re from, you’ll find a community who will welcome you, and value the life experiences you bring to campus. International students often have specific questions. We hope you’ll find these answers helpful.

If you have other questions and you’re a prospective student, contact the Office of Admissions. If you’re a current student, contact the Office of Student Life.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there financial aid available for international students?

Yes. In addition to institutional aid, you will be considered for several endowed scholarships designated for international students:

  • Redtop Scholarship: $4,000 per year, need-based with preference given to students from Great Britain or Scandinavian countries
  • Tyree-Taylor Scholarship: $4,500 per year, designated for students from Asia, Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe
  • David and Anna Chao Pai Scholarship: $5,000 per year with preference given to a Chinese or Chinese-American student of high academic standing

For more information, contact our Office of Financial Aid at 1-800-381-6156 or

Where do Sweet Briar students live?

The vast majority of our students live on campus all four years. Sweet Briar has seven traditional residence halls and a modern apartment complex. Students across classes are housed together to promote community and class bonding. Resident advisors and resident coordinators are there to provide academic and emotional support. Learn more about residence life at Sweet Briar.

What is the weather like at Sweet Briar?

The climate at Sweet Briar College is temperate with four distinct seasons. In the winter, average high temperatures are about 50 fahrenheit / 10 celsius. The weather is warm well into the fall; the average high temperature in October is 70 fahrenheit / 21 celsius. We average about 3.5” of precipitation each month.

Can I get a job as an international student?

If you are on an F-1 student visa, you will be allowed to work on-campus. You’ll need a social security number and employment authorization before getting a job. Our Office of Student Life will help you manage the process. Learn more about our student job openings.

Do I need health insurance?

All Sweet Briar students are required to have health insurance, which can be purchased through International Student Insurance. Visit for more information about Insurance in the US and Types of International Insurance. Once at Sweet Briar, you will have access to medical care through a number of local clinics. The Office of Student Life can assist with transportation to reach their offices.

Will I be able to drive?

Possibly. Students are allowed to have a car on campus. If you need a driver’s license, you should consult the requirements maintained by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles as there are different requirements for different countries. You will also need to pass a driving test.

Are there vacation housing options?

During Thanksgiving and Spring Break, our residence halls are open, though some campus services do not operate when school is not in session. You may be responsible for your own meals and transportation. For longer breaks, there are other options on campus or in the local community. Our staff will help be happy to connect you with these when needed. Learn more about our break schedule.