Apply now, continue your application or make your deposit. There is no application fee.
For optimal consideration for admission and academic scholarships, please click here to apply now. We also encourage you to speak with an admissions counselor, faculty or staff member or alumna about your application and interest in Sweet Briar College.
Click here to speak to an admissions counselor.
Make an Early Decision!
Associate Director of Admissions Outreach Taylor Patterson introduces early decision:
Learn more about Early Action and Early Decision Here
FAFSA- October 1, 2020
Early Decision- November 1, 2020
Early Action- December 1, 2020
Rolling Admission- starts December 2, 2020
For other application deadlines, see below.
Transfer applications are welcome year round in Rolling Admission for fall and spring semesters.
Application Requirements for First-year Students
You are considered a first-time first-year student if you are a current high school senior or have not attended college since graduating from high school. Applicants must submit the following items if they are first-year students:
- Completed application — Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Official transcripts of all academic work completed to date. Sweet Briar accepts the General Education Diploma (GED) in lieu of a high school diploma. Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide a final transcript with proof of high school graduation prior to the start of your first academic year at Sweet Briar. We will accept electronic copies directly from your school or via Credentials Solutions, the National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- If applicable, a list of current (senior year) grades
- If applicable, submit this form to request a transfer credit evaluation for dual enrollment or AP credit.
- Test optional with GPA of 3.0 or higher — Sweet Briar accepts the SAT, ACT or CLT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Letter of recommendation from a counselor, teacher or alumna
- Essay (written or video), writing/art sample, portfolio, or interview (live or online) encouraged — This is an opportunity for you to be creative and tell us more about yourself and your interest in Sweet Briar.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Anytime — Apply using Sweet Briar’s application
- Aug. 1 — The Common Application opens
- Oct. 1 — FAFSA opens
- Nov. 1 — Priority Deadline for President Scholars
- Nov. 1— Early Decision Deadline
- Dec. 1— Early Action Deadline
- Dec. 1 — Commitment deadline for Early Decision Students
- Rolling Admission after December 2 (decisions and financial aid notifications mailed on a rolling basis after December 2)
- Jan. 1 — Final Deadline for Presidential Scholars
- May 1 — National College Decision Day deposit deadline
Application Requirements for Transfer Students
Students are considered transfers if they have earned 24 credits or more from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Students with fewer than 24 accredited hours must meet the first-year applicant requirements listed above in addition to the items listed below. Transfers must submit the following to complete their file:
- Completed application — See below
- An official transcript from each college attended. We will accept electronic copies directly from your school or via Credentials Solutions, the National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- Proof of good standing at each of the previous institutions attended
Application Requirements for International Students
First-year students who are not residents of the United States are considered international students and must submit:
- Completed application. Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Verified official scores from at least one of the following with an acceptable minimum score. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Please note: International students whose first language is English or who have attended an exclusively English-language school for at least four years do not need to submit a language exam.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – 65 minimum
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – 6.0 minimum
- Duolingo English Test – 90 minimum
- A standardized test is optional. Sweet Briar accepts either the SAT or ACT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT and TOEFL code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Official copies of all high school transcripts (or equivalent) and college course transcripts (if applicable) in English. For advice on translating documentation, please contact the Admissions office at email@example.com or call +1 (434)-381-6142.
- Live interview utilizing Skype, Facetime, Zoom or similar technology.
- Upon acceptance, College Board’s International Student Certification of Finances.