The Future Belongs To Those
Who Believe In The Beauty
Of Their Dreams.Eleanor Roosevelt
Sweet Briar women are women making history.
For you, history making is your future. Clarify your path. Find your place.
Join your new community of friends and family.
Believe in the beauty of your dreams.
Apply to Sweet Briar College today.
“Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.”
- Golda MeirVisit Today!
“The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.”
- Amelia EarhartVisit Today!
“You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.”
- Shonda RhimesVisit Today!
“I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.”
- Lucille BallVisit Today!
“You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe.”
- Leymah GboweeVisit Today!
“Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.”
- Oprah WinfreyVisit Today!
“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.”
- Madeleine AlbrightVisit Today!
“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
- Jane GoodallVisit Today!
I am so full of hope for the future ahead of us — so that Sweet Briar women can go forth in the world — and just crush it.
- Sweet Briar President Meredith WooVisit Today!
The Future Is Yours.
Let Us Offer A Guiding Hand.
Sweet Briar women are women making history. They all started their journeys by taking one step in common: they took action and applied to Sweet Briar College. Join our close knit community of confident leaders and bright intellectual women by completing your application today.Complete Your Sweet Briar Application Today.
Early Decision 2: January 15, 2023
Early Action 2: February 1, 2023
For other application deadlines, see below.
Transfer applications are welcome year round in Rolling Admission for fall and spring semesters.
You are considered a first-time first-year student if you are a current high school senior or have not attended college since graduating from high school. Applicants must submit the following items if they are first-year students:
- Completed application — Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Official transcripts of all academic work completed to date. Sweet Briar accepts the General Education Diploma (GED) in lieu of a high school diploma. Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide a final transcript with proof of high school graduation prior to the start of your first academic year at Sweet Briar. We will accept electronic copies directly from your school or via Credentials Solutions, the National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- If applicable, a list of current (senior year) grades
- If applicable, submit this form to request a transfer credit evaluation for dual enrollment or AP credit.
- Test optional with GPA of 3.0 or higher — Sweet Briar accepts the SAT, ACT or CLT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Letter of recommendation from a counselor, teacher or alumna
- Essay (written or video), writing/art sample, portfolio, or interview (live or online) encouraged — This is an opportunity for you to be creative and tell us more about yourself and your interest in Sweet Briar.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Anytime — Apply using Sweet Briar’s application
- Aug. 1 — The Common Application opens
- Oct. 1 — FAFSA opens
- Nov. 1 — Early Decision Round 1 Deadline
- Dec. 1— Early Decision Round 1 Deposit Deadline
- Jan. 3— Early Decision Round 2 Deadline
- Feb 1— Early Decision Round 2 Deposit Deadline
- Rolling Admission after January 3 (decisions and financial aid notifications mailed on a rolling basis after January 3)
- May 1 — National College Decision Day deposit deadline
The following are incentives for applying Early Decision (either round):
- Parking pass for your first year
- Priority Housing
- $250 book reimbursement or first riding course for the 3 week semester at no cost.
Students are considered transfers if they have earned 24 credits or more from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Students with fewer than 24 accredited hours must meet the first-year applicant requirements listed above in addition to the items listed below. Transfers must submit the following to complete their file:
- Completed application — See below
- An official transcript from each college attended. We will accept electronic copies directly from your school or via Credentials Solutions, the National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- Proof of good standing at each of the previous institutions attended
First-year students who are not residents of the United States are considered international students and must submit:
- Completed application. Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Verified official scores from at least one of the following with an acceptable minimum score. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Please note: International students whose first language is English or who have attended an exclusively English-language school for at least four years do not need to submit a language exam.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – 65 minimum
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – 6.0 minimum
- Duolingo English Test – 90 minimum
- A standardized test is optional. Sweet Briar accepts either the SAT or ACT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT and TOEFL code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Official copies of all high school transcripts (or equivalent) and college course transcripts (if applicable) in English. For advice on translating documentation, please contact the Admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (434)-381-6142.
- Live interview utilizing Skype, Facetime, Zoom or similar technology.
- Upon acceptance, College Board’s International Student Certification of Finances.
Love these beautiful photos of campus?
All of the photographs on this page were provided by National Geographic photographer Medford Taylor. Medford is a member of the Sweet Briar College Visual Arts faculty where he shares his expansive knowledge of photography with Sweet Briar students.