The Academic Resource Center is where you’ll find:
- a free service to support and assist you with your coursework
- peer mentors who can offer feedback on your writing
- peer mentors who can help you improve your study skills
- strategies for balancing your academic and social life
- ideas for managing your time and reducing stress
- assistance for students with learning disabilities
- assistance for international students
- books and resources on many aspects of college life
We encourage you to make an appointment, especially if it’s a busy part of the semester, such as the last couple of weeks of classes. We also encourage you to come in at least 24 hours before the paper is due, so you’ll have plenty of time to make revisions after your session. To schedule an appointment, please click here.
You can also visit our writing mentors during walk-in hours: from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
ARC mentors can help you with every aspect of writing a paper, from brainstorming to polishing the final draft. Specifically, we can help you:
- analyze assignment directions
- brainstorm ideas
- craft a thesis statement
- organize your ideas
- use correct punctuation and grammar
- incorporate sources into your writing
We can’t guarantee you will get an A on a paper, and we can’t tell you what your professor will think about a paper. We can’t write or rewrite your paper for you, and we can’t solve all of your problems in 30 minutes. We are here to help you become a more effective writer, not to do your work for you. Mentors are trained to facilitate your learning. It’s up to you to make it happen.
No. We ask that you stay and work with a mentor so your meeting will be a learning process.
No. However, we will read through your paper with you, helping you identify mechanical errors and showing you how to correct them. That way, you will learn to find and correct those mistakes for yourself in the future.
ARC mentors can help you identify grammatical and language problems in your papers and other assignments. As an international student, you are encouraged to take full advantage of the ARC’s resources as you adjust to college life in the United States.
Click here to make an appointment with one of our subject mentors.