Sweet Briar's program is committed to deepening a student’s knowledge and appreciation of the theatre by studying its past, learning the theoretical background of its various parts, including acting, directing, design, play writing and technical theatre, and regular participation in theatrical productions. Students have the opportunity to participate in all phases of production work, as well as specialize in either acting/directing or design/technical theatre. The department produces a broad range of material, from the classics to musicals to modern experimental theatre. Students work with the faculty as well as with guest artists each year.
SB Theatre congratulates 2013-2014 Jessica Steinbrenner Molloy Theatre Arts Award Recipient, Sarah Muth '14!
Sarah at 2014 Commencement. She has since moved to Orlando, Florida to work for Disney!
(Copyright Sweet Briar College).
Theatre Faculty, Staff and Student SUMMER UPDATES
- Sarah Capen worked at as a carpenter at Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre — they built four huge shows in nine weeks!
- Shelbie Filson performed in Wolfbane Productions’ Macbeth outdoors at Devils Backbone.
- Jesse Schaaf interned with the KC Fringe Festival, a 10-day arts festival with over 100 artists and 400 total performances in 14 different venues all around Kansas City, MO. She worked closely with the Volunteer Team making sure every performance had volunteers to be box office attendants, house managers and ushers.
- Taneal Williams worked with Endstation Theatre Company and performed in its production of In Sweet Remembrance.
- Loretta Wittman performed the role of Shaindel in Fiddler on the Roof with Ash Lawn Opera in Charlottesville, VA.
- Shannon McCarthy helped teach youngsters at Gamut Theatre Group's summer academy and was part of a Shakespearean combat show.
To get on the SB Theatre mailing list, please call the box office at (434) 381-6120 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fair Ladies at a Game of Poem Cards, Spring 2008 (photo by Andrew Wilds)