Throughout the history of Sweet Briar College, we’ve encouraged our students to take command of their lives and experiences. Evidence of this can be found in our unique traditions and the wide range of programming that reflects the diverse interests and global perspectives of our students.
To that end, the Office of Student Life works closely with the academic dean and her staff to develop and strengthen meaningful opportunities for students. These initiatives are based on a co-curricular model — they expand and support learning, in and out of the classroom.
Examples of this philosophy in action include, but are not limited to:
- An Outdoor Program caving trip that also explores earth science concepts
- Student-planned, campus wide activities that provide real-world experience in marketing and management
- Having a peer health educator and advocate, who serves as a resource for her classmates on wellness issues
- Daily interaction with a residential advisor who provides leadership and support
- Student life and the dean’s office collaborating to help a student apply for a study abroad program or providing guidance throughout the honors curriculum
Sweet Briar students make their education their own. It’s what they’ve been doing since 1901. The Office of Student Life, through its many divisions — career services, outdoor programs, spiritual life and others — is committed to supporting and challenging students in this journey of personal growth and leadership.
Together, as a community, we help each student make “herstory.”