Local Area Events & Opportunities
Sweet Briar is lucky to be in close proximity to several colleges and universities, as well as many historical and cultural landmarks. We hope this page will be helpful in planning a long weekend or finding something fun to do on a Friday night.
Located just 20 minutes south of Sweet Briar, Lynchburg offers a variety of options, including
- Festivals, museums and historical landmarks
- Theater and dance performances
- Restaurants, coffeshops, frozen yogurt and more
- Shopping at River Ridge Mall, Target, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc., as well as two J.Crew outlet stores
- Live music venues
- Cultural events at Lynchburg College, Randolph College and Liberty University
- First Fridays: On every first Friday of the month, art galleries across town stay open late offering eclectic exhibits, music and refreshments. A free art trolley runs between downtown and Rivermont Avenue.
- Shopping and dining in Downtown Lynchburg
- Get!Downtown: Sept. 13, 6-9 p.m., downtown Lynchburg
An outdoor festival featuring live music, dance and street performance, as well as a variety of foods and local vendors, with several local colleges participating. Photos from last year’s event are here.
Less than an hour's drive north of Sweet Briar, Charlottesville is home to a host of cultural events and historical landmarks, including
- The Downtown Mall, featuring restaurants, coffeeshops and Italian gelato, as well as shopping at boutiques, second-hand stores and Urban Outfitters
- The University of Virginia
- Live music venues offering many national and international acts
- Organic and international grocery stores: Whole Foods, Foods of all Nations, World Market, Trader Joe's
Click on a date in the calender to find out about local activities.
Click on music to learn about area performers and local entertainment. Click movies to read movie reviewsand find local show times. Click dining guide to learn more about restaurants in the area.
Local Movie Theaters
883 Main Street
188 Richmond Hwy
202 S. Main Street
195 Ambriar Plaza
Nelson County Restaurants:
4137 Tye Brook Hwy
Colleen, VA 22922
The Lovingston Cafe
Madison Heights Restaurants
417 Main St
4535 S Amherst Hw
4758 S Amherst Hwy
4154 S Amherst Hwy
4678 S Amherst Hwy
These are just to name a few!
Other Virginia Destinations:
Martinsville: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race on Oct. 27