The study of mathematics enhances our appreciation for the beauty of life. It prepares us to excel in modern society by developing the ability to find patterns and analyze data, to construct and clearly present logical arguments and to navigate highly abstract concepts. Students of mathematics learn to break down complex problems into simpler pieces, to read carefully and to write unambiguously.
What is distinctive about studying mathematics at Sweet Briar?
- The mathematics program at Sweet Briar College is interdisciplinary and has a particularly strong connection with biology, economics and engineering.
- In the past four years, members of our math faculty have twice received SCHEV’s Outstanding Faculty Award, the highest honor the state of Virginia awards to college faculty.
- Our professors have an excellent rapport with students, reflecting the high level of camaraderie we share with one another. Although some may dismiss this as insignificant, we view it as one crucial reason we attract such a high percentage of students to major in math.
What can you do with a degree in mathematics?
- Typical career paths for graduates are accounting, banking and finance, defense and weapons research, education, actuarial sciences, engineering and operations research.
- In the past several years, our graduates have been hired by IBM, Northrop Grumman, the National Ground Intelligence Center, the National Security Agency, PricewaterhouseCoopers, SunTrust Bank, Nationwide Insurance, Ernst & Young, the Naval Surface Warfare Center and the Joint Warfare Analysis Center.
- Graduates have studied in programs at the University of Virginia, University of Maryland, Dartmouth, Boston University, Harvard University, Yale University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Johns Hopkins, London School of Economics, Duke University, George Washington University and Stanford University, to name a few.