On-campus Horse Shows
Required of All Competitors
- Participation is limited to Sweet Briar riders only
- This horse show features both hunter and equitation classes. Students will compete in classes on the flat and will jump courses over fences. The public is welcome to attend. Admission is free.
At these shows, recognized by the Southwest Virginia Hunter/Jumper Association and the Virginia Horse Shows Association, Sweet Briar students and local horses and riders compete on the flat and over fences. In hunter classes, the horse’s style and form will be judged, while in equitation classes the judge assesses the rider’s form and ability. Competitors at SWVHJA and VHSA shows can earn points that count toward year-end awards offered by both associations. Sweet Briar students and the public are welcome to come and watch. Admission for spectators is free and concessions will be available.
- Fall Equitation Show: October 14-16, 2016
- Fall Show and Sweet Briar College Medal Finals: October 30, 2016
- Winter Horse Show: February 19, 2017
- Spring Equitation Show: March 24-26, 2017
- 90th Annual Horse Show: April 8, 2017
IHSA Horse Shows
At this Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) show, Sweet Briar’s intercollegiate riding team will compete against all other IHSA Zone 4, Region 2 colleges. The public is welcome to come watch and support the Vixens as they take on the strong group of schools in our region riding on the flat and over jumps. Admission is free for spectators and concessions will be available.
In this two-day, multiple-phase competition open to Sweet Briar and outside competitors, the rider’s ability is judged over the horse’s form and style. Riders perform a judged individual ride on the flat. On day two, Sweet Briar hosts an equitation show in conjunction with the jumping phases for the equitrial. Horses and riders jump from 2 feet to 3 feet 3 inches and compete both in an arena and on an outside course. Classes are offered for junior riders and adults. The public is welcome to watch — admission is free.