Orientation is the first step in your collegiate career.
Student Life has designed an orientation program to familiarize new students with the Sweet Briar campus and community while giving you time to unpack, relax and connect with classmates.
New students will be introduced to academic life and expectations, and participate in first-year traditions. This is also the time to experience co-curricular and recreational opportunities that will be available during the next four years.
During orientation you will:
- make new friends and meet upperclasswomen
- meet your faculty advisor, register for classes and purchase books
- develop community standards with your hallmates
- participate in traditions
- attend discussions about academic expectations
- learn the value of our honor code and pledge to uphold our standards with your classmates
- participate in bystander intervention training
- complete a service project with your class
- lounge at the lake
- have dinner at a faculty or staff member’s house
- begin to feel more settled at Sweet Briar
- participate in pre-season if you’re a fall athlete
- take placement tests if you’re a rider
In the fall, new students arrive on Friday, Aug. 18, 2017, before classes begin the following Thursday.
Spring orientation is shorter. New and transfer students arrive on Sunday Jan. 14, 2018, and classes begin on Monday.