Sweet Briar College’s Office of Human Resources and student organization Sweet Spirits honored staff members at the Unsung Heroes and Employee Recognition Banquet April 26 at the Florence Elston Inn and Conference Center.
“This is a time to honor you…who go above and beyond the call of duty to make Sweet Briar a better place,” said Sweet Spirits member Kelly Winer ’13. “Our campus would not be so beautiful or run so smoothly without you.”
Each year, under the leadership of the Sweet Spirits, the student body votes for non-exempt or hourly staff members to receive the Unsung Hero and Heroine awards. According to Winer, there was more participation by students this year than ever before.
Gloria Smith received the 2013 Unsung Heroine award for her “sincere love for students” and dedication to the College. Honored for his outgoing personality and willingness to help in every situation, Sylvester “Bo” Booker was named the 2013 Unsung Hero.
During the luncheon, the College recognized 12 staff members who have provided 200 cumulative years of service.
Those honored for 10 years of service were Katerina Suntseva, Indhumathy Santhana Sampath, Paulette Porter-Stransky, Toni Hudson, Linda Canode, Martha Campbell and Deborah Beaty. Deborah Powell, Jerry Allen and Tracey Garrett were recognized for 20 years of service to the College, and Elaine Hatter was recognized for 30 years. Mary “Sue” Fauber was lauded for four decades of dedication to Sweet Briar.
- Superman (all-around fantastic man): Jerry Allen
- Wonder Woman (all-around fantastic woman): Lelia Johnson
- Batman (individual willing to work nights): Joseph Litchford
- Robin (individual who works behind the scenes): Ronnie Green and Rich Meyer
- Captain America (most school spirited): Martha Campbell
- Joker (class clown): Ronnie Staton
- Green Lantern (individual dedicated to sustainability): Donna Meeks
- Spiderman (individual who always sticks with a task): John Tomlin