Teresa Pike Tomlinson graduated from Sweet Briar in 1987, the same year the College established its Distinguished Alumna Award. Twenty-five years later, Sweet Briar announced that Teresa is the Distinguished Alumna of 2011.
Given out by the board of the Alumnae Association, the award honors alumnae, preferably graduates, who have brought distinction to themselves and to the College through outstanding accomplishments in a volunteer or professional capacity. Any member of the Sweet Briar family — including students, alumnae, faculty, administration, staff, and members of the Alumnae Board and the College Board of Directors — is asked to nominate candidates.
Teresa was elected the first female mayor of Columbus, Ga., in November 2010. At Sweet Briar, she double majored in government and economics with a certificate in business management. After receiving her law degree from Emory University School of Law in 1991, she began working as an attorney for Pope, McGlamry, Kilpatrick, Morrison & Norwood in Columbus. The firm’s only female partner, Teresa practiced law there for 16 years and is now of counsel with the firm. In 2006, she became the first executive director of MidTown Inc., a community renewal organization seeking to revitalize the nine square miles in the center of Columbus.
Over the years, Teresa has been recognized repeatedly for her community involvement. The Columbus City Council honored her three times for her work on government-appointed boards and task force committees, and the Georgia House of Representatives recognized her as an Outstanding Volunteer. In addition, Teresa received a Certificate of Special U.S. Congressional Recognition for “outstanding achievement, service and public distinction.” She was also named a Columbus Woman on the Rise and Exceptional Role Model in Business, and a Concharty Council of Girl Scouts Woman of Achievement.
A member of the Boxwood Circle Committee for nine years, Teresa has been involved in many alumnae activities and has donated to the College throughout the years. Twice, she helped to raise funds for her alma mater as a member of her class’ Reunion Gifts Committee.
Teresa received the Distinguished Alumna Award this spring in her hometown.
Category: Summer 2012
Sites That Link to this Post
- orodertiopertul | November 27, 2013
- Jagdrevier | November 28, 2013
- buy instagram likes | November 28, 2013
- how to get rid of acne and its scars fast and naturally | November 28, 2013
- getting over a broken heart | November 28, 2013
- Adiphene Review | November 28, 2013
- Hemorroides | November 28, 2013
- rap beats | November 30, 2013
- high yield investment | November 30, 2013
- gadzety reklamowe | November 30, 2013
- buy cheap youtube views | November 30, 2013
- Opcje Binarne | November 30, 2013
- lavender bath | December 1, 2013
- this web site | December 1, 2013
- click here to visit weight loss programs report card | December 4, 2013
- teds woodworking | December 4, 2013
- Internet via de satelliet schotel in het buitengebied via snel ADSL satelliet internet | December 5, 2013
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3S_9306MSk | December 5, 2013