Patty Lynas Ford
2165 West Dry Creek Road
Healdsburg, CA 95448
[email protected]

Thank you all for contributing to our class notes.

I am sorry to report that we lost two of our classmates this year: Joan Widau Marshall died on 4/17/12 and Anne Adams Coulbourn died on 8/31/12. Should you wish to write to the families, please contact the alumnae office.

Lynne McCullough Gush: We’re performing “Midsummer Night’s Nightmare” four times before 9/1, at which date will we assault “Nutcracker” for Dec. It is difficult. The Summer Students—off and on—will do a workshop this Sat. Soon my faithful Korean boy will go back home, and I hope his teacher there likes what I have done with him. I’m much engaged with fall schedule since school begins in three weeks. It looks as though I will work to 7:30—a good thing following the usual slow summer.

Janet Broman Dingle: Thanks for your recent correspondence. I’m sorry to hear of Annette’s passing (Annette Aitkin McRoberts). As for me, a few changes have taken place since I last saw you at reunion. In 11/11, I moved into a retirement village that is located just a few miles from the condo where I resided for the previous 12 years. I now live in a comfortable one-bedroom apartment completely furnished with my own belongings and the added benefit of no longer having to prepare meals! My new address is: 200 Hamlet Hills Dr., Chagrin Falls, OH 44022. My husband, Larry, resides in a nearby Alzheimer facility and, sadly, his health is declining. I enjoy visits from my two daughters and their families. They’ve been a great help in clearing out my condo for sale. I still have fond memories of our 60th class reunion. How surprised I was to be reading my College magazine this past fall and run across a picture of my grandson, Jeff Carl, who was performing a concert at my alma mater!

Rosalie “Pinkie” Barringer Warnham: Wish I had “something fun” to report, but I keep busy “maintaining.” I am Tom’s caregiver and there are good days and not-so-good days. Hearing aids for him have helped. I still swim a half mile every day at the Bishop’s pool, and it is my lifeline. After grieving like two old fools for six months after we put Wanda down, our daughter dragged me to the Humane Society and I came home with Charlie. He adores us and we him and after 8 months are still working on some “street dog” behaviors. Think Toto in the Wizard of Oz but with curly black fur, combination Cairn terrier and poodle. He is high maintenance so between Charlie and Tom I’m busy. I do get out to keep up with my Altar Guild duties at St. James by the Sea, hard to get young replacements as we old ladies are dying off. I never thought I’d live to be almost (Nov.) 83 and am grumpy when I have to put up with the normal facts of old age. Cataract surgery scheduled for fall. I can’t wait to be able to see the newspaper and the current book for my Book Club, too bad the print is small and there are no pictures! SBC is forever in my memory.

Angie Vaughan Halliday: Susan Taylor Hubbard came to visit us 4/25 and returned to Norfolk on the 30th. We had a wonderful time. She had not been to Louisville for many years. We have lived in our present house for 42 years, and she had never seen it! This major event happened as follows: I had called her 4/12, her birthday, and in the course of the conversation I mentioned that we were going to Natural Bridge State Park (Ky.) for the Wildflower Weekend. That really got her! Anyway, we had a few days here and two days there. It is near the Red River Gorge, which was made famous when then Chief Justice Douglas led a large group to protest damming the river, a successful and non-violent protest. The weekend is coordinated by the Ky. Native Plant Society, which is attempting to foster native species and control the invasive ones. Anyway, it is always an interesting and gentle event, and Susan loved just it like we do. She is quite a birdwatcher and got us hooked. She is just wonderful, Bob and I both enjoyed her visit, and I caught up with her in so many ways. The funny thing was how differently we remembered the same event, and also how many different events we each remembered that the other didn’t recall.

Jean Graham “Randie” Randolph Bruns: We’re slowly recovering from the wild storm. Power out for much of our family gathering. Major tree now cut up and gone. Closer inspection of trees looking for splits. Lots of “widow makers” dangling along road, which will come down in another big wind. At least it has cooled off. 150 stones in the cemetery damaged and cleanup tomorrow when I will inspect our two family plots. Wonderful community spirit, but everyone just a wee bit frazzled still. For the 1st time in 30 years the sound of the approaching wind sent me into my inner closet with a kerosene lamp and a flashlight. I’ve never heard a wind blast like this one. Lightning was blinding long into the night.

Ruth Oddy Meyer: All is as well as can be expected considering our accumulated years. I’m still a hospital volunteer and attend painting and exercise classes, but had our last visit to London in June as our eldest son and family returned home after seven years of living in the U.K. We now have a freshman granddaughter at U. Richmond, another one a junior at U. Miami, Fla., a third who graduated from Middlebury a year ago and is now living and working in N.Y., and a fourth who is a freshman in high school. Apart from that we’re the parents of two dogs, two parrots and a cat. Life is good. Mona Wilson Beard and I keep in touch by e-mail, but if anyone has any news of Sis Hayden D’Wolf, I’d greatly appreciate hearing from them. My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Sue Lockley Glad: Not a lot of news here. I’m at Black Butte Ranch for the summer enjoying golf, bridge, family—no more tennis. Two quick trips, one to L.A. to see the USS IOWA, now open as a museum in San Pedro Harbor. My husband, Ned, had served on the ship from its commissioning in 1943 until peace was signed in Tokyo Bay in 1945. It was very exciting and very patriotic! Also accompanied my daughter and granddaughter to N.Y.C. to check out Columbia U. where she is interested in attending the College. Having lived in N.Y.C. for nine years, I was supposed to act as tour guide. We did all of the tourist things: 9/11 Memorial, Top of the Rock, Wicked, MOMA, Metropolitan and Natural History Museums, and the boat tour! The very first day, I slid head first down the subway stairs but fortunately just ended up with a bruised hip and shoulder and nothing more disastrous. Must have an angel somewhere! Hope it is good news from everyone.

Ann Mountcastle Gamble-Blechta: In 2/12 I lost “The Love of My Life” George Blechta (98). He died peacefully, quietly and quickly. We had such a wonderful 13 years after my Bob Gamble died and his wife had died. The relationship was made in heaven. His family lives in Sarasota, Fla., and mine in Ariz. and Paris, France. I went to Richmond, Va. this spring and had lunch with Mary Pease Fleming and Sue Taylor Hubbard—such a good meeting. My brother Frank lives there and I shall make many trips to see him/them again. I’m off to Paris this week until the end of Aug. I do this every year. My five grandchildren are 16, 17, 17, 21, 24. Time does change things. It’s such fun to read all the news of our classmates.

Ann Benet Yellott: Excerpts from a lovely article written by her daughter, Andie Yellott ’67. “When Ann Yellott announced at age six that she was changing her name to “Cowboy Bob,” it merely confirmed what everyone already knew—the kid was horse crazy…and has remained so for life…She took every opportunity to ride anything and everything available, riding at SBC as Huntsman to a pack of 2 ½ couple foxhounds with her roommate Billie Herron as her Whipper-in, and finding horses to ride on the various Marine Corps bases she lived on as a young bride with her beloved husband, Kin. Raising two children (and various bird-dogs!) then took precedence and her riding career was back-burnered until the mid-70s when she returned to riding with a vengeance and got her 1st “pony” named George. Thereafter she hunted…and evented all around Md., Va. and Pa. before turning to dressage in the early 90s. In addition, she has owned many horses, and most recently her Century Club ride, the Andalusian Icastico ‘Ferdie’ (18)…On 5/26/12, the pair received a score of 60.645% at First Level, Test 3, at MDA’s Heavenly Waters’ Recognized Dressage show to join the Century Club! (combined ages of horse and rider is over 100—Ann is 83, Ferdie is 18.)…Annie has volunteered for MDA, MCTA and the Therapeutic Riding Program of Carroll County to name a few.”

Mary Pease Fleming: We did it! Moved to Cedarfield on 5/30/12, and are happy, but gradually settling in to a three-room, two-bath apartment. We haven’t lived in as small a space since we were married 61 years ago! Am contacting you now because we have a new address (2300 Cedarfield Parkway, Apt 368, Richmond, VA 23233) and a new computer e-mail address ([email protected]). Our telephone # is the same (804) 288-4835). Hope to hear from you when you have finished your summer’s travels.

Patty Lynas Ford: We recently had lunch with Julie Micou Eastwood and Dick in our favorite restaurant in St. Helena in the Napa Valley. Dick E. was full of interesting stories about his time in the Navy during the World War II and their time in San Francisco. He needs to write a book. We had a brief visit with our daughter and family in Leesburg, Va. in May. Watching our great-grandson grow up is a pleasure. Alas, we didn’t have time to drive down to see Jean Graham “Randie” Randolph in Warm Springs, Va. I’m now in my 16th year as a volunteer at the Healdsburg Animal Shelter. I don’t work with big dogs any more, but there are plenty of little ones who need cuddling and walks. One of the things I can do is “gentle” them, changing them from frightened little dogs to ones who like to be petted and walked. The transformation is very gratifying. I sit on the kennel floor and the procedure takes about two one-hour sessions. I ignore them the first day—no touching, no eye-contact but with a hand extended holding some kibble. Totally impersonal. The next day the dog draws near out of curiosity, takes more kibble from my hand, feels some sense of security and by the end of the hour, is in my lap, wagging its tail and looking me in the eye.