Location and Transportation
Sweet Briar is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia. On its 3,250-acre campus, rolling meadows, woodlands and two small lakes provide a beautiful natural setting for ecological studies, sports and other outdoor activities. The College is located about 165 miles southwest of Washington, D.C.; 100 miles west of Richmond, Va., the state capital, and 50 miles south of Charlottesville, Va. These cities offer many cultural attractions, including museums, galleries and theaters. They are accessible by air, rail, bus or automobile. The nearest city, Lynchburg, Va., is only 15 miles away. In addition to Sweet Briar, there are 10 colleges and universities within a one hour drive, including the University of Virginia, Washington and Lee University, Virginia Military Institute and Hampden-Sydney College. Events sponsored by area colleges and universities offer opportunities for you to meet other international students.
Getting Around – Local Transportation
Because Sweet Briar is in a rural area, there is taxi service and some limited van service. However, many Sweet Briar students have their own automobiles and are usually very helpful in taking others with them when they go shopping or run errands off campus.
Getting to Sweet Briar College
Most international flights arrive in:
- Miami International Airport (MIA) – Florida
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) – Florida
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) – Georgia
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) – Maryland
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) – New York
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) – North Carolina
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – Pennsylvania
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) – Washington, D.C.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) – Washington, D.C.
The closest airport to campus is in Lynchburg. We recommend arranging a connecting flight from one of the big cities listed above to the Lynchburg Regional Airport (LYH), where a taxi or shuttle bus can drive you to Sweet Briar. If you need shuttle service from Lynchburg to Sweet Briar, please fax your travel information to (434) 381-6489, Attn: Dr. Tiffany Cummings. However, it also is possible to take the Amtrak train or Greyhound bus to Lynchburg from a larger city. It costs a little bit less, but it takes a lot longer. We would recommend the plane especially for your first trip here!