Sweet Briar College has specific processes for students to seek resolutions to issues they have experienced about any aspect of their academic or student life. Students are encouraged to complete these processes (listed below) and/or to address the issue directly with the student, faculty, staff member or senior administrator involved in order to seek resolution prior to filing a formal written student complaint.
Specific Policies and Procedures
- Violation of the Student Honor Code or Academic and Nonacademic Standards of Conduct: The academic and nonacademic judicial processes are in place to uphold the College’s honor code and judicial system. For more information about the judicial system and its procedures, refer to Section II of the Student Handbook.
- Violation of College Policies: The College has established policies concerning student code of conduct, alcohol, drugs, smoking, hazing and standards of behavior, anti- discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct (Title IX) and computing. For more information about the procedures governing College Policies, please refer to Section III of the Student Handbook.
- For appeals procedures for the policies listed above, please refer to those specific policies.
- Grade Appeal Policy
- Parking Ticket Appeal Policy
- Residence Life Special Accommodations Appeal Policy
- Silent Witness Report
Written Student Complaint Procedure
If the student has exhausted the procedures listed above and wishes to file a formal written student complaint against the College, she should follow the written student complaint procedure outlined below. A student has a right to submit a formal student written complaint and to have her complaints received, appropriately heard in a timely manner in accordance with College policies and procedures, and resolved fairly and expeditiously without fear of coercion, harassment, intimidation or retaliation from the College or its employees.
All formal written student complaints must be filed using the Written Student Complaint Form. To access the form, students must:
- Log in to mySBC using their email user name and mySBC password
- Click on the My Academics tab
- Click on Student Forms
- Click on Student Complaint Form
Paper copies are also available in the office of the administrator of the complaint procedure located in Fletcher Hall, Lower Level. The administrator of the complaint procedure will be available to meet to assist in filing complaints.
All formal written student complaints will begin with this process. Once a completed complaint form has been submitted, an acknowledgement of receipt will be sent. Once the matter has been investigated by the administrator of the complaint procedure, each complainant will receive a written response within 10 business days. The response will provide a resolution or identify the need for additional time to research the issue. Confidential files of the investigation and record of each case will be housed in the office of the administrator of the complaint procedure.
In the event that a formal complaint is filed against the College alleging discriminatory treatment by the College or other violation of law or regulation by the College, then the complaint will be referred to the director of human resources and community engagement, for further handling and response. A response will be provided in the time required under the relevant law or regulation, but, if there is no such timeframe, then in 10 business days. The response will provide a resolution or identify the need for additional time to research the issue. The records of such a complaint will be housed in the office of the administrator of the complaint procedure.
The office of the administrator of the complaint procedure is located in Fletcher Hall, Lower Level. The email address is email@example.com. The office of the administrator of the complaint procedure serves as the permanent repository for all complaints generated by the written student complaint process.
Revised July 2017