Active Shooter/Disturbed Individual
Situations involving an active shooter or disturbed individual evolve quickly and require quick response of law enforcement and campus resources. This document provides an outline for response to such situations.
Principal Point Persons
- Chief of Police, Department of Campus Safety
- Campus Safety Officers
- Local Law Enforcement
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of the Faculty
- Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Co-Curricular Life
- Vice President and Chief of Staff
- Nurse Practitioner/Director of Health Services
- Director of Media, Marketing and Communications
- Director of Physical Plant
- President of the College
- Upon receiving a report of a threat to the welfare and safety of the College community, a Lock Down will be issued and an officer(s) will be dispatched immediately to respond and investigate.
- Local law enforcement agency(ies) will be notified and involved in the campus response. The Department of Campus Safety will coordinate emergency response with local law enforcement, fire and rescue operations in collaboration with the Director of Physical Plant.
- The Emergency Alert Lock Down siren will be sounded (a three minute continuous blast) and the Emergency Response Phone Tree will be activated. See the instructional documents Activating the Emergency Alert Siren and Emergency Response Phone Tree.
- Simultaneously, a message will be sent to students, faculty and staff via the e2Campus emergency communication system and via other communication methods (home page on College website, email, voice mail).
Possible campus intruder. Lock doors and stay where you are until further notice.
Emergency Website Message
A potentially dangerous situation with a campus intruder has been reported on campus. Please lock your doors, turn off your cell phone, turn off the lights, remain quiet, and stay where you are until further notice. When all is clear, the siren signal will be given, and a message will appear on this website. If you have any information about the intruder or injuries, dial 434-381-6111. Additional updates will be posted as more information becomes available.
Emergency Information Hotline Message
A potentially dangerous situation with a campus intruder has been reported on Sweet Briar’s Campus. Everyone on campus has been advised to lock their doors, turn off their cell phones, turn off the lights, remain quiet, and remain where they are until further notice. Please visit our website at www.sbc.edu for further updates.
Campus Telephone Landline Message
A potentially dangerous situation with a campus intruder has been reported on campus. Please lock your doors, turn off the lights, turn off your cell phone, remain quiet, and stay where you are until further notice. When all is clear, the siren signal will be given, and a message will be sent to this phone number. If you have any information about the intruder or injuries, dial 434-381-6111. Additional updates will be posted on the college website, www.sbc.edu, as more information becomes available.
- The Crisis Response Team (CRT) is notified and gathers at a central location to be defined based on the situation; this is coordinated by the Chief of Campus Police.
- The Nurse Practitioner/Director of Health Services, if available, will coordinate and/or assist with the treatment of any injuries and coordinate medical transport. The College Chaplain and Mental Health Counselor will coordinate counseling and assistance in consultation with the CRT.
- Regular information and updates are shared with the campus community via e2Campus and other communication methods as outlined above.
- The Director of Media, Marketing and Communications coordinates information to internal and external constituencies.
- Notification of any student injuries or death is coordinated through the Co-Curricular Life office in consultation with the CRT. Information regarding faculty or staff injuries or deaths is coordinated by the Dean of the College in coordination with the CRT and Director of Human Resources.
- Follow up and support to the campus community will be coordinated through the College Chaplain and Mental Health Counselor.
- Support to the families of any students, faculty or staff who were injured or killed will be coordinated by the College.
- An assessment will be made regarding these procedures and revisions/updates made as needed.