The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) is a five year program for Sweet Briar undergraduates who are pursuing one of three licensure options.
Men and women with bachelor degrees from other institutions may also apply for a full-time M.A.T. program that prepares candidates for licensure in one calendar (June-May) year.
Applicants must submit the following items for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching program:
- Completed application
- A cover letter
- A current résumé
- Two references
- All college transcripts (need overall GPA of 2.75 and 3.0 for any EDUC courses)
- Passing scores or proof of:
- Praxis 2 in area you are seeking licensure
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Elementary Education: RVE (Reading for Virginia Educators)
- Certificate CW55691: Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting and Responding for Educators
- Current CPR/first-aid course
- Current tuberculin skin test from doctor
- If you are currently accepted in the Sweet Briar teacher education program, you will also need to provide a copy of your certificate of completion for the online tutorial from the Virginia State and Local Civic Education Module.
- $40 application fee — pay online or make check payable to “Sweet Briar College” and mail to:
Sweet Briar College
Attn: Admissions Office
P.O. Box 1052
Sweet Briar, VA 24595